- Boards, Committees & Commissions
- Historic Preservation Commission
Historic Preservation Commission
The Historic Preservation Commission reviews and recommends historic designation of applicable sites to the Board of Town Commissioners for designation by Resolution. The commission also reviews proposed plans for renovation, additions or demolition of designated historic sites to assure protection of these historic resources. For an application for submission to the Historic Preservation Commission to request review of your property, click here for the application and here for the procedures/process instructions. The Commission meets on the fourth Thursday of every month, 6:00 at Town Hall located at 39 N. Hickory Avenue, provided action is required.
DURING TOWN HALL CONSTRUCTION PLEASE CHECK THE AGENDA FOR THE MEETING LOCATION.
The Historic Preservation Commission consists of seven members appointed for three year terms by the Board of Town Commissioners. While residency is preferred, it is not a strict requirement for membership on this Commission. However, members must demonstrate special interest, knowledge or qualification in such fields as architecture, historic preservation or urban design. Powers & Duties
- Jeffrey Campbell, Chair
- Paul Edmeades, Vice Chair
- Jennifer Mainster Hanna
- Vaughn Lewis
- Brian Payne
- Keith Smithson
- Joseph Wojciechowski
The primary focus of the commission is to protect historically significant town structures and to generate interest and understanding in the town’s history and its buildings.
For more information about volunteering for this Committee, please call 410-638-4540.
Many homes in the Town were built between the mid-1800’s to early 1900’s in various, distinctive home styles of those times. Styles like Stick Type, Cape Code, and homes with gabled roofs and wrap-around porches.
In 1986 through today, 2022, 51 Town historical properties have received Historical Designation status. Below are links to slide shows of “Then and Now” with a little write-up on the original building.
Choice Street - W. Courtland - Franklin Street
Gordon and Hays Streets - Hickory and Kenmore Avenue
2018 Christmas Ornament "Court House"
2017 Christmas Ornament "Bel Air Station"
2016 Christmas Ornament "Harford National Bank / Masonic Temple"
2015 Christmas Ornament "First Presbyterian Church / Odd Fellows Hall"
Each year the Historic Preservation Committee has the honor of choosing a historical building for the annual Christmas Tree ornament. These ornaments are a beautiful, intricate rendition of the honored building and over the years have become a time-honored tradition for many citizens to hang on their Christmas Trees for years to come. To view many of the ornaments from past Christmas we have created this slide show,
Ornament Alex Fulfords Bottling Plant 2009
Ornament BA Academy and Graded School 2006
Ornament BA Post Office 2013
Ornament Emmanuel Episcopal Church 2002
Ornament Main Street 2012
Ornament Proctor House 2008
Ornament Record Mill 2009 Pic
Ornament Ropewalk Tavern 2007
Ornament Town Hall 2014